Friday, January 2, 2009

Session #23: Sympathy for the Duivel

In '09 I'm going to miss the nooks and crannies – the little places, off the beaten path in far-flung quarters, that I wouldn't have found if I hadn't been working on the book over the past year. Oh sure, there are a few favorites to which I'll go back. Maybe more than a few. But much of the thrill of discovery will be gone. By now I've figured out a handful of favorite haunts among thousands of Brussels cafés. Mostly I'll be sticking to those.

During the project I was also bound to this city more than I'd like. I've been neglecting the rest of Belgium. I've only been to four Trappist breweries – can you imagine it? – so Chimay and Rochefort still beckon. I've only been to the great Heeren van Liedekercke twice, shamefully. I've yet to see Bierloods. I haven't yet gone cycling around to lambic cafés in Pajottenland.

I know. You feel sorry for me, don't you? Especially those of you who never get to visit Belgium. Well, I'm touched, but save your tears. Because those are among the things I'm most looking forward to in 2009.

However. Those pale in comparison with the big thing. There's something that will impact these plans more than I'd like to admit. We're expecting a little Thirsty Whippersnapper come July. So I guess that's the thing to which I'm most looking forward.

2 comments:

  1. Joe,

    I am so very happy for you both...Parenthood, its a grand journey and you should savor it like a fine beer. Happy New Year and greetings you you both! (and Truman) See you perhaps in June...

    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Our little Jonas now has a (milk) drinking buddy in Belgium.

    ReplyDelete