Saturday, January 10, 2009

Quick Fly-by. Bye Bye.

I've got some really good stuff for you. You might even call it news. It comes complete with useful information and a photo or two. It will change all of your future visits to Brussels. Unfortunately I don't have time at the moment to share it. You'll have to wait a bit longer. Tomorrow or Monday, I think.

I'm off in a few minutes to watch a friend homebrew. Yes, homebrewing in Brussels if you can believe it. Here's all I know: He hasn't brewed in a few years. It will be all-grain, since that seems to be the only viable option in Belgium unless you want to use those Brewferm kits ("the ones for kids and Japanese tourists" as a local put it to me once). Also, he plans to dry hop.

I'm bringing a few interesting bottles to share for the privilege of looking over his shoulder and asking tons of impertinent questions.

3 comments:

  1. Brew Strong and mash well...
    It would be fun to do a brew next time I am in Brussels with you. We could brew a celebratory beer for your new arrival...Saison de Enfant? Take care I am off to Shanghai tomorrow in search of Asian beer...no not really its just for work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy Shanghai! Actually I think there are a few brewpubs there now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The homebrew looks good so far! I think I got around 71% mash efficiency, which I think is pretty darn good all things considered. I did forget the Irish moss, but it's not a disaster. The cascade arrived from the USA yesterday, so I'm ready to dry hop this weekend when I transfer to the secondary. Yum! I love cascade dry-hopped.

    There was a strange side-effect following this brewing session. For about a day, everything seem to taste a bit of malt and smell a bit of hops.

    ReplyDelete