Thursday, August 11, 2011

As Seen on TV.

One of my favorite shows on TV is Diners, Drive-Ins and Drives. When we're in the States and not hunting beer joints, Missus Pilgrim and I have been known to mine the DDD archives for local eateries. So it was a rare joy to find a DDD spot that also happens to have a serious beer list.

Iron Barley is in South St. Louis, less than 10 minutes drive from downtown when traffic is light. Rather than give you the whole spiel, I'll send you to the DDD segment, and then the Man vs. Food segment... both of which fail to mention the beer.

I copied Adam Richman and went for the Monte Christo double dog. Chased it with a Centennial Rye from the local Six Row Brewing. Basically: a grainy, peppery rye pale with lemony-citrus notes from Centennial hops. A summery beer that is also a foodie beer. Comfort food and comfort drink, together as they were meant to be.

Lots more tips and tales in an upcoming article. Stay tuned, true believers.

Tomorrow: Off to the 25th Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison. My goal: to find out what, if anything, sets the region's beers apart from the rest of the country and the rest of the world. I've asked several people already and have yet to hear the same answer twice. Do you have any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I guess I'd wonder if the Midwest is one coherent region; and I say this as a Midwesterner. I've lived in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana and, now, Ohio, and there are variations in the beer culture from state to state. The area seems too large, geographically, and varied culturally to allow for a singular definition of its beers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make an interesting point, Doug. But then compare those places with the East Coast or the West or the South... Don't you think there are more cultural similarities than differences within the region? Have you been to other regions and noticed differences in the way that people communicate or treat each other?

    ReplyDelete