Thursday, May 5, 2011

Further Expansion of the Delirium Imperium.

Just got an invitation to the grand opening of the Delirium Monasterium... Just when you thought Brussels' most popular beer bar couldn't possibly grow any bigger.

The address says Impasse de la Fidélité 1, the same as Delirium's main alleyway location, watched and watered by Jeanneke Pis herself. So this is not the colonization of another street corner, like the Little Delirium over on Pita Street. Instead, like the Taphouse and Hoppy Loft, it appears to be another arm of the central Delirium complex. If it were a tumor it might be diagnosed as malignant, but the cancer analogy is unfair since the whole place will presumably go non-smoking, along with the rest of Belgium, on July 1.

Hang on, what's the gimmick? Taps? Hops? Tequila? No, this time it's monks and vodka. And Fabergé eggs. It will offer 100 Trappist and abbey-style beers, including 10 on tap. There will also be 400 vodkas.

Why vodkas? Now, you might be thinking, "because the profit margin on liquor is much higher than on beer, especially in Belgium where cocktails and overpriced and specialty beers are arguably underpriced." You cynical bastards! No, the real reason is that "in Eastern Europe, as beer in other countries, Vodka enjoyed a long Monastic tradition. ... Amongst others, discover a 50 years old vodkas and fabergé eggs [sic]."

For the life of me, I can't figure the connection between Fabergé eggs and monks. I guess that would be the vodka-Russia connection. Meanwhile I can't get excited about a place for drinking abbey and Trappist beers, which are widely available in Belgium and abroad (Westvleteren won't be there, by the way). But I'm sure the kids will love it, and much better to train them on Westmalle than that Floris fruit nonsense.

Want to go to the grand opening? It's at 7 p.m. on May 12. Drop me a line and I'll send you the invite. The usual rule applies: Everyone must claim to be Tim Webb.

*"I'm Tim." "No, I'm Tim." "Impostors!"

2 comments:

  1. I wish them luck, but have to say I went in the main Delirium bar (the only bit open when I visited) for the first time the other day. I sat in there for a few minutes, looked at the beer card, decided there are more pleasant places to sit in Brussels -- lighter, less noisy and less, well, smelly -- and walked out again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can't see the connection between Fabergé eggs and monks, it's because you haven't drunk enough vodka chased down with Trappist beer... Think of that

    ReplyDelete