Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sommeliers and Cicerones and Beer Servers.

My memory is not that great, but tell me if I'm wrong about this: Five years ago in the United States, we would've laughed if someone claimed to be a "beer sommelier." Well, I would have. I can't speak for you.

While working on a magazine article, which is not really that relevant to the question, I asked Ray Daniels today how many folks out there can call themselves "Cicerones." The short answer: 173, including just one Master Cicerone. (The only Master for the moment, if you're interested, is Andrew Van Til of the Michigan-based drinks distributor CKL.)

Meanwhile there are nearly 2,500 others approved by the Cicerone program as "Certified Beer Servers." And these days, I think, nobody is really laughing at any of them.

3 comments:

  1. You sure? Nothing against the program or the earnestness of those who have studied but if anyone introduced themselves to me under those titles, I am afraid I would laugh. If they mention in passing that they took the course, I wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'd be more inclined to ask where they ply their trade and plan a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently plying my CBS skills in my home. Even the dog dish is "Beer Clean"

    ReplyDelete