Tuesday, September 7, 2010

There Is Craft Beer in Costa Rica Again.

Trying to get caught up on the local scene after our long U.S. tour. I'm learning that things have been happening. The context: For most of this year there were absolutely zero craft breweries operating in Costa Rica. Zilch. Nada. That has thankfully changed.

First: The Malpais-based nanobrewery La Perra Hermosa--that's right, "Beautiful Bitch"--is up and running. A couple of local restaurants have its beers on draft. Brewer-proprietor Ryan Ackerman tells me: "Things are evolving and it's nice to have a whole town pulling for us." There are three beers: Blonde, Brown and MPA--Malpais Pale Ale.

I'll have more details on where to find those beers soon. Pack your surfboard because you'll have to go to Malpais to get them. But not right now. It's raining.

Second: The K&S Cerveceria, which closed in November 2009, is reportedly under new ownership in Cartago. No word yet on when we'll see its beers or if the beers themselves will change.

Also hunting for the latest on Volcano Brew up near Tilaran. And I have a lead on yet another potential brewery in the San José area. Not sure if there's anything to it. I'll let you know.

3 comments:

  1. Cool! Well done on the timing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm headed right near there next week. Is there anyone updated info on this project? I'd love to try to stop by, but I can't find any other information on the Interwebs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey, whereabouts are you headed? Malpaís, Cartago or Tilaran? Drop me a line and I'll try to help you out.

    ReplyDelete