Monday, June 28, 2010

D.C., Missouri, Wyoming, Oregon: Tell Me Where to Go.

Our upcoming trip to the States will be a fairly long one encompassing decent chunks of all those places. Finally liberated from intensive Spanish classes that have limited my writing time, I'll be blogging from the road. Where would you send us? If you know any of those areas, what are the must-do's?

Remember that my wife and I are beer geeks who've been abroad for about four years. There are new haunts even in the areas that we (used to) know well. And we are just as likely to hunt interesting food and atmosphere as we are memorable brews.

So if some joint or beer or plate has a special place in your heart, tell me about it. We might just track it down.

Pictured: the Oscura, a coffeeish dark brown homebrew that was probably the best beer in Costa Rica last week. This week it's a barrel of sessionable, dry-hopped pale ale that happens to be in my fridge. If we have serious competition, I'd like to know about it.

8 comments:

  1. You should head down to Charlottesville area and give the Brew Ridge Trail a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Velky; that area is great for the beery traveler. In DC; you must visit The Brickskeller near Dupont Circle. Also a new German spot called the Biergarten Haus (near Capital Hill) and Gordon Biersch, Capital City Brewing and RFD's all near China Town. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wyoming - you're probably pretty screwed. But, Cheyanne is only an hour away by car from Fort Collins, CO. Definitely a worth-while side trip for a thirsty pilgrim. Coopersmith, Odell, New Belgium...

    ReplyDelete
  4. you need to travel through Wisconsin on your way to Wyoming. Madison is the beer capital of the Midwest... If you make it during August we have the Great Taste of the Midwest (120 breweries and 600 beers). Madison is overflowing with great beer bars, Macro, micro and pico breweries. As you head west, I recommend Mountain Sun in Boulder...I could go on an on..but your Itinerary will be necessary to plan accordingly...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlottesville is tempting but we'll be without wheels. Biergarten Haus is on my list. Very familiar with Biersch, Cap City, RFD and Brickskeller -- and hope to revisit most if not all of them. A new must-do in DC is Churchkey/Birch and Barley.

    Fort Collins would be a dream but we'll be in Jackson Hole on the other side of the state. I gather that it's a rather large state.

    Stefan, sorry man, Wisconsin's not in the program this time. My brother and I talked seriously about it before realizing it wasn't possible and swearing an oath that we would do Great Taste of the Midwest sometime in the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Come down for a day on the train and let myself and Mrs Velkyal give you the guided tour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jackson means Snake River. A fine option. Also easy access to Big Sky beers - don't be put off by the popularity of Moose Drool, which itself is pretty good, and try the other offerings. A solid IPA. Also look for Grand Teton. Colorado beers are all over town, including Odell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Velky: I'll definitely give that some thought. Would have to be a weekday, though.

    Stan: Snake River is already in the plan, and I'm glad to hear that Odell's will be around. St. Lupulin, for example, is on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete