Tuesday, December 8, 2009

There Will Be a Stille Nacht Reserva Next Year (Probably).

In my latest DRAFT article, I wrote that Kris Herteleer of De Dolle makes the life-experience-in-a-bottle Stille Nacht Reserva every five years. Turns out I was wrong. And right.

From the Mad Brewer himself: "Joe, there is no rule that every five years there should be a release of Reserva Stille Nacht. But next year we plan to have one batch of that. It is brewed yet, but not yet on barrels."

So the angels have yet to take their share, but next Christmas could be a very merry one for those of us lucky enough to find a bottle. We can expect a Stille Nacht Reserva 2010 (following the legends of 2000 and 2005). It's greedy to hope for more.

Those who want to taste what the fuss is about: The Kulminator in Antwerp still had the 2005 last I checked. Bring a friend and share.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Joe,

    Funny you should mention this, I just wrote a post about my visit to the brewery last August, and the fact that I had the opportunity to taste a Stille Nacht 'straight from the barrel' at the time... The barrel said 'Stille Nacht Reserva 2008 - 24 Dec 2008'

    So it seems that there IS a batch on barrels yet after all... (and it is gooood)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Toine. Makes me wonder how often he brews and barrels it versus how often he releases it. It also makes me wonder if he's brewing some batches just to please himself — which is usually a good sign where quality in concerned. We may be lucky that any of it gets released at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe I was wondering if it could have been a 'private barrel' ;)

    By the way, I just posted a picture of the barrel, as proof!

    ReplyDelete