Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What's on Your Table Thursday?

Oh, Americans and our Thanksgiving abroad. Sure we could've invited someone over. Maybe some other Yanks who haven't found a table yet. Maybe some locals who ought to experience a real Turkey Day. Or that skinny, ragged lady up on the corner, who's always begging for loose change so she can sit at the corner bar and have a Stella.*

But then there'd be fewer leftovers for us.

The program: Funky lait cru goat cheese with 3 Fonteinen Oude Gueuze, turkey and all the trimmings with Saison d'Epeautre, and real pumpkin pie with Hercule Stout.

For those celebrating: What's on your table Thursday? What's your ultimate turkey beer?

*Absolutely true, and it should make you re-think any notions about Stella being a "premium lager."

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great meal, and excellent pairings. I only wish Hercule was still what it used to be. Unless you've been keeping some of the old bottles around...?

    We do the family double: T'giving lunch at my in-laws, then dinner with my family. A huge event, which always ends with karaoke. And hosted by a wine collector, so wine rules the night. Not that I'm complaining. As much turkey in one day as I usually eat in a year.

    Flying Fish Exit 1 Oyster Stout. Mmmmm...tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice trick pulling off the double, with a wine collector no less.

    I wasn't aware that Hercule had ever fallen off. IMO it's been in great shape lately. It's been interesting comparing them to some older bottles i the cellar... They get fruitier. Much prefer it when fresh and more, well, stout-like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be a day of saisons!

    I plan to start off with my homebrewed saison, then a Hennepin, Vieille Provision for the big meal, and finally the big and fruity Smuttynose Farmhouse with the apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Witkap Pater Singel Ale and deProef Saison Imperiale to go with Turkey. Then we have Koningshoeven Quadruple to go with pumpkin pie. I love the new beer warehouse in my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife and I had the Hercule for the first time on our honeymoon in Belgium 4 years ago and loved it. Since the brewery was sold we don't think it's as good. Not bad, by any means. But it seems to have lost some of that wonderful dark fruit, which is part of what we loved about it. Maybe it just doesn't taste as good in Philadelphia as it did in Ghent...

    Joe, you're living my dream life. Well done sir.

    Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete