Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Mythology of Glassware.

We've got a mirrored hutch full of fancy beer glasses. They're mostly from a six-month flurry of collecting after we first moved here a few years ago. Thankfully, before things got out of hand, we realized most of them were useless. OK, useless is a strong word. They do hold liquid. They have a use. Impractical. That's the word.

Here's another in a long series of myths about Belgian beer: Each beer must be served in its own special glass. What nonsense. (In fact I suspect it may be what the bruxelloise call a zwanze – a practical joke. On all the rest of us.)*

And here's a universal truth about all beer, including that from Belgium: Each beer is best drunk from the glass from which you would most enjoy drinking it.

Finally, here's something I've never told anyone: As much as I love most Trappist beers, I hate the chalices. Especially the stylish Orval glass. They look pretty and that's about it. They don't do the beer any favors. Give me an Orval — bitter, complex pale ale that it is — in a straight-sided tumbler any day. Give me an intensely aromatic Westvleteren 12 in a brandy snifter, which nearly demands sipping and swirling and contemplation. The chalice lets all that aroma just slip away. It's kind of a waste.

But that's just ranting. What do you like to drink from what?

*Joke or not, it's great marketing. Pushing your competitors' glasses off the shelf behind the bar is a nice way to increase visibility.

16 comments:

  1. Uff, thought I was the only one thinking like you here in Italy: http://hoppy-hour.blogspot.com/2009/07/hooray-mass.html. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of tumblers, because I think they let the aroma get away.

    That's why I like the Rochefort best of the Trappist glasses, because of the little turn at the top.

    But I agree that a snifter - or a wine glass - works best. Unless the beer sucks, in which case you notice the faults even more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray, common sense on glassware prevails! I drink most of my beer from my Lovibond's half pint, curvy sexy type thing - regardless of style. Sometimes I wonder if the beer brigade are in danger of becoming as poncey as the more extreme people in the wine lot? Think Jilly Goulden (spelt wrong I am sure) and you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm partial to glasses that don't tip over. Anything with a stem just seems to be asking for trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stan: I think I still get a decent aroma from a tumbler just by sticking my nose in there while gulping. Does seem to help if it's curved in a little at the top.

    Leo: I recently told Yvan that I like pouring two 33cl Stouteriks into a giant mug and quaffing it that way. He told me Bernard (the other brewer) does exactly the same thing. Vindication! They should come out with an official 66cl Brasserie de la Senne mug. It would be lovely for Taras Boulba too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its about the history and the appreciation of the beer the way the artist envisioned it. When I pour an Orval carefully into the Orval chalice I think about the monks, the intent of the brewery and its workers. Its more a peice of contemplation to me than a required tool for drinking a particular beer. I collect a lot of glassware as a mid-western house wife from Minnesota would collect nick-nacks....with reckless abandenment. However if the glass hold liquid and allows one to enjoy the beer, then I say bottoms up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a bunch of quality glasses but I always find myself going back to three basic glasses: a tumbler, a large red wine glass, and a Hoegaarden Grand Cru glass (no not the hexagonal thing) http://www.belgianbeerglasses.com/pub/files/Beer%20Glasses/.thumbnails/1199483320_BBG003HoegGC_w450_h400.jpg
    thats perhaps my most used glass. Don't think I've ever had a hoegaarden grand cru in it though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you.
    I would be happy drinking almost any beer in a right-sized willibecker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with the Swede on this one. I love my Westalle in a sturdy Westmalle chalice. I like to match my beer to the glass if I have it. If I don't, I experiment. Most often, though, I use a good old American pint glass. For my latest homebrew, I decided that I prefer it in a Duvel or similarly shaped glass. Variety is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My current favourite glass to enjoy beer is the Oerbier glass from De Dolle Brouwers, which actually is quite like a large red wine glass...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Duvel just doesn't work the same way in any other glass than its own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous: That should tell you something about Duvel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joe, like you, I have a nice collection of Belgian and other beer glasses here in Luxembourg (in addition to the 40 or so I have stored back in the US!) but alot of them are for show. I tend to go back to a few each time. I like a tulip or something with a curve at top. My Struise glass is a favorite, as is my De Graal and a few other snifter type glasses. But the rest are pretty and look good when people come over...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would second (or third?) the idea mentioned earlier that after you've gathered a collection of glasses, a few regulars start to stand out based on shape or style. The Oerbier glass is one that I use a lot for a variety of beers. I've also been sipping quite bit from a small 25cl short stemmed DeKonnick glass.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lew: My most favoritest glass at the moment is a 40 cl willibecher from my hometown Springfield (Missouri) Brewing Company. Holds aroma well yet great for gulping.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite glass at this time (likely due to the Hibiscus Blonde on tap) is my Brasserie de la Senne elongated Tulip glass....holds aromas tight and helps to keep a long lasting head.

    ReplyDelete