Tuesday, October 28, 2008

We Are All Jelly Donuts.

I was physically in Berlin 10 years ago. From the train I saw a skyline packed with cranes, so I continued on to Hamburg instead. At the time I only wanted to party and see pretty things, not hang out in a massive construction site.

So, that was a mistake. Now I wish I had really seen it 10 years ago, to have those before-and-after snapshots in my mind. The Missus and I found that we really just dug that city. A lot. It was one of those visits where you feel a connection to a place. Like we could move there next week and not miss a beat.

Our families are both German-Missourian. My grandfather was born near Kiel, in the north. I don't believe in blood calling out to a place. That's romantic and stupid. But I do believe culture is not so easily shaken off after a just couple of generations. Not even in America.

Anyway: Let's discuss material things. Not the means but the ends: food and beer. The undisputed highlight of our trip was Brewbaker. This is one of Berlin's more adventurous brewpubs – and if you're there this week you can probably try some pumpkin lager for Halloween. There were no special brews on either of our visits, just the Czech-style pils and a dunkel. Both were exceptional and harmonious with serious bitterness and good malt character. Thirst-quenching and brilliant with the food.

The cooking there is worth mentioning on its own. You can watch the chef work in the open kitchen with all-fresh ingredients. With friends we all had two incredible dinners there – I did not know blood sausage could be that good. Getting them all to go back a second time was an easy sell. And here's a peek at my juicy pork cutlet from our last evening in town.

You don't need a stubborn German grandfather to appreciate it.

5 comments:

  1. My jaw nearly dropped on the table when I read the words "Pumpkin Lager". And only a couple of hours after I was ranting about how conservative German brewers seem to be! It's great to see some have a little adventurous spirit :)

    I'm hoping to make a trip to Berlin next year so will be keeping this spot bookmarked.

    Mmmmm, pork...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You won't be disappointed, even if they lack the specialty beers when you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brewbaker was certainly a hightlight for me as well, and Südstern was pretty good, too. The brewpubs of Berlin is a fine way of seing the coty, crisscrossing it by foot and rail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason we didn't make it to Südstern. But another favorite of ours was Brauhaus Spandau. Excellent seasonal doppelbock. I'll blog more about that another day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good call on the blood sausage man, it goes sooo well with so many beers. Good shout!

    ReplyDelete