Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Do-It-Yourself Oktoberfest.

Oktoberfest is on as we speak. Aren't you jealous? Me too. Ideally we could duck in for a few liters, some sing-songs, and be back for dinner and an evening in the armchair. Unfortunately there's the whole getting to Munich, finding a room, and fighting the crowd thing to worry about. Scheisse, that's too much work.

So I like this idea that you can make a little Oktoberfest in your own home. Why not? Crack some Ayinger, fry up some sausages, wrap the wife in a drindl, and strap on the lederhosen. Hell, by that measure it's Oktoberfest six days a week in our house.

Or you can do it like the journalists in Framingham do it. Have the dawgs over on Sunday. Put on some football. Line up every Oktoberfest beer from the local bottle shop and get to work.

Depending on whether you've ever worked as a journalist, this video may either smash or confirm every stereotype you have about newspapermen. Having been one myself, those guys look eerily familiar. Get the feeling they weren't expecting the video camera to show up?

In keeping with the theme, more German stuff later this week. Meanwhile have a look at the Bitten Bullet, a relatively new blog drenched in delicious German lager.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug! :D

    In a twist of fate, I'll be heading to Munich next week, just after the fest finishes. I'll be close to Freising however, so was going to try to arrange my colleagues into a trip to Weihenstephan. I mean, we should be able to organise a piss-up in a brewery at least!

    While I should be grateful that my wife won't let me buy lederhosen (she's a Badenser), she can't stop the wurst-fest and me taking over a cellar room for beer storage :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I've been to Oktoberfest once, I can't think of a better time to visit Munich than right after the fest. All of the beer halls, none of the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. I was there about 11 years ago (for a meeting that "happened" to coincide with the fest), and the local guy said we'd be better off in the bier kellers and bars, which were very nice. We did venture in one night, and it was mayhem. I'd like to go again for a look, just because I'd have a different view on it now compared to then.

    ReplyDelete