Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Case for Nurturing Your Inner Geek (discretely, if you must).

I'm a big supporter of beer rating, ticking, note-taking, whatever you want to call it.

Why: It compels you to seek out new beers and interrogate your palate. You pay more attention to what you're tasting, thus you get a better idea of what you like and don't like. If you aim to find great beers and not just rack up big numbers, the successes become a serious boost to your quality of life. Even while continuing the hunt for new and interesting beer (or wine), you get to cellar plenty of the stuff that makes you really happy every time you drink it. And that's what it's all about.

But I make this vow: I'll never "rate" a beer on this blog. Anyone can do that, and there are others that can do it better. Especially when the sites are either (A) written by someone with years more experience, or (B) collect the opinions of thousands of schlubs like you and me.

Besides, I subscribe fully to the "each their own" school of subjectivity. You know your own likes and dislikes better than anyone.

But I can tell you a beer's story without giving you a score. I can nudge you down roads you wouldn't have explored otherwise. In short, I can help you cut through the bullshit. Lots of bottles on the shelves these days. Lots of places making them. And lots of places to drink. How do you choose?

Hey, that's what friends are for. If I find something I think is great but flying under the radar, I'll let you know.

Tomorrow, in fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment